Orofacial myofunctional disorders (OMDs), are disorders of the facial, tongue, and lip muscles and functions caused by oral breathing, tongue thrust, thumb-sucking, object-biting, and/or incorrect swallowing patterns.
Orofacial myofunctional disorders can cause:
- Open bites
- High and narrow palatal arc
- Chewing and swallowing issues
- Facial cosmetic problems: long and saggy face, facial asymmetry, weak lips
- Speech disorders, etc.
Our Orofacial myofunctional therapy services may provide:
- A series of exercises
- Re-patterning oral
- Facial habits and functions
- Eliminating habits caused by OMDs
- Developing proper oral resting posture (lips closed, tongue up), which then helps eliminate oral-facial-skeletal abnormalities.